Thursday, April 20, 2023
Recently, I have been working a number of projects, including:
- Four of my online applications have gone into disrepair-
- XML feed for JOLTS Labor (DOL) numbers provided on the WiredPages Employment page blocked. Repaired.
- History Channel no longer providing XML feed for current day's events. Affected the WiredPages Sports & Entertainment pages. In the process of searching for replacement feeds.
- Zillow property value estimates provided by Zillow. Expired API license.
- Tracking my schedule more efficiently... (next post)
- Experiment with a security cam and Alexa.
This post discusses the security cam experiment. For sometime I have wanted a camera for the front door. The problem? I did not want a battery operated camera, however felt a wired camera to much trouble for the experimental aspect of this project.
When I noticed security cameras that looked like light bulbs (August 2022) I immediately ordered one (around $10.00), however the shipment never arrived.
Recently, a highly rated LaView Light Bulb camera went on sale on Amazon, so I decided to experiment.
Because the original outdoor sconce (pictured) was too small to house the new camera, I setup the camera on a work light with a hook (also shown), which was attached to one of the garage doors.
Then ordered a larger outdoor sconce for the front porch (shown below).
The new front door sconce arrived the following Saturday (April 15, 2023) around 6:30 pm. I installed it later that evening. Ran into one or two problems, and happy I decided to cut the power to the outlet before I started work. By 8:30 pm or so, everything was back on and running correctly.
Pleased with how this is working out. The LaView app which controls the light bulb cam is installed on an Android, iPhone, and iPad mini. The Alexa Echo Show device is used to stream throughout the day, and the other devices in the evening or if more control over the camera is required.
Pretty happy with the features on this security camera and the LaView app. The Echo Show does not have the same power, however the speaker, mic and display work well with the camera.